Good Friday is the Friday before Easter, and it is the day on which Christians commemorate Jesus Christ’s crucifixion. Good Friday has been commemorated as a day of grief, penance, and fasting from the early days of Christianity, a quality that is reflected in the German phrase Karfreitag (“Sorrowful Friday”). The mainstream of Christian tradition has held that Jesus’ last meal with his followers on the evening before his Crucifixion was a Passover seder, based on the Synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark, and Luke). That would put Jesus’ death on the 15th of Nisan, or the first day of Passover (beginning at dusk) on the Jewish calendar. That day would be April 7 on the Gregorian (Western) calendar.
This day is believed to be a holy day for Christians, but even though the name suggests that people celebrate Good Friday, this is not the case. It’s a day when Christians commemorate Jesus and pray to God. Here we’ve compiled a compilation of good Friday quotes, sayings, and wishes with a variety of subtitles for you to choose from.
Types of Quotes
Good Friday Quotes For You To Appreciate
Many individuals celebrate the day in their unique ways, according to their customs, but one thing they all have in common is that they all pray in their unique ways and ensure that their homes or families are filled with happiness. On this wonderful Friday, we’ve compiled a bunch of quotes for you to appreciate.
- Father forgive them for they know not what they do.
- It’s finished! The hope of Easter begins.
- It was my sin that nailed him there.
- Nails didn’t hold Jesus to the cross. Love did.
- It’s Friday… But Sunday’s coming.
- There is no Easter without a Good Friday.
- ”I Love You” could not be said in a better way. Good Friday.
- Good Friday, a day to pause and reflect on God’s amazing grace.
- Good Friday: I thank you for your unfailing love. Amen.
- GOOD FRIDAY! The day death died.
Religious Good Friday Quotes
Some claim that Good Friday is merely a distortion of Holy Friday, while others argue that it is a parody of God’s Friday. Some people believe that the name Good Friday comes from the fact that it is a day when people go to church and pray to God. For you to enjoy good Friday, we have compiled a compilation of religious good Friday quotes.
- Behold, my servant shall act wisely; he shall be high and lifted up, and shall be exalted. -Isaiah 52:13.
- And they will mock him and spit on him, and flog him and kill him. And after three days he will rise. -Mark 10:34.
- He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds, you have been healed. -Peter 2:24.
- Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul. -John 1:2.
- So the band of soldiers and their captain and the officers of the Jews arrested Jesus and bound him. -John 18:12.
- For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. -Romans 5:6-10.
- Then he said to them all: ‘Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me’. -Luke9_23.
- He keeps all his bones; not one of them is broken. -Psalms 34:20.
- They divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots. -Psalms 22:18.
- Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. -John 15:13.
Sad Good Friday Quotes
Good Friday is a day of remembrance for those who have died. As a result, we can’t wish one other a happy good Friday. It’s a joyful Good Friday because God has provided us with the option to live forever. The Crucifixion of Jesus Christ is commemorated on Good Friday. Good Friday is a day of mourning, fasting, and penance. Here are a few quotes concerning the day in question.
- The Cross! There, and there only though the deist rave, and the atheist, if Earth bears so base a slave; There and there only, is the power to save. -William Cowper.
- Christ has not only spoken to us by his life but has also spoken for us by his death. -Soren Kierkegaard1.
- Then Jesus said to his disciples, ‘Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.’ -Matthew 16:24.
- By the cross we, too, are crucified with Christ; but alive in Christ. We are no more rebels, but servants; no more servants, but sons! – Frederic Farrar.
- For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved, it is the power of God. -Corinthians 1:18.
- Stoning prophets and erecting churches to their memory afterward has been the way of the world through the ages. Today we worship Christ, but the Christ in the flesh we crucified. -Mahatma Gandhi.
- Christmas and Easter can be subjects for poetry, but Good Friday, like Auschwitz, cannot. The reality is so horrible it is not surprising that people should have found it a stumbling block to faith. -W. H. Auden.
- If Christ is God, He cannot sin, and if suffering was a sin in and by itself, He could not have suffered and died for us. -E.A. Bucchianeri.
- For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved, it is the power of God. -Corinthians 1:18.
- He drained the cup of God’s wrath bone dry, leaving not a drop for us to drink. -Richard Allen Bodey.
Good Friday Quotes That Captures The Spirit Of Sacrifice
The crucifix or cross is the most prominent Good Friday emblem. A figure of Christ can be found on several crosses. To indicate mourning, a piece of black fabric is draped over the cross and sculptures in churches. Here are a few quotes that capture the spirit of Jesus’ sacrifice.
- When we read Scripture without listening to God, Scripture is sabotaged. -Eugene Peterson.
- I believe in person to person. Every person is Christ to me, and since there is only one Jesus, that person is the one person in the world at that moment. -Mother Teresa.
- The lesson of Good Friday is to never lose hope — or at least give it 48 hours. -Robert Breault.
- It is not the finest wood that feeds the fire of Divine love, but the wood of the Cross. -St Ignatius of Loyola.
- Legions of angels stood – with swords sheathed – watching as the Son took our place. -Mark Hart.
- Death is the justification of all the ways of the Christian, the last end of all his sacrifices, the touch of the Great Master which completes the picture. -Madame Anne.
- It is a shame that most Christians their faith is a lease owned by their pastors and not by God, the real Landlord. -John 5:44.
- But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds, we are healed. -Isaiah 53:5
- It is the resurrection that makes Good Friday good. -Ravi Zacharias.
- Our Lord has written the promise of the resurrection, not in books alone, but in every leaf in springtime. -Martin Luther.
Good Friday Quotes To Make You Feel Good
The ‘good’ in Good Friday refers to Jesus Christ’s acts. Christians observe Easter Sunday two days after Good Friday, the day on which Jesus is said to have risen from the dead. We’ve compiled a compilation of good Friday quotes to make you feel a little happy or good about the day.
- Good Friday: Light conquered darkness and goodness conquered sin.
- May your world be a beautiful place, on Good Friday, and always.
- Jesus went to the cross because God is holy and sin must be punished. Good Friday.
- It is the resurrection that makes Good Friday good.
- The symbol of the religion of Jesus is the cross, not the scales.
- We are Easter people living in a Good Friday world.
- Good Friday, a day for some to remember our savior who died on the cross for us.
- Father, into your hands I commend my spirit. – Psalm 31
- He was wounded for our transgressions. – Isaiah 53:5
- In truth, there was only one Christian and he died on the cross.
Good Friday Quotes And Wishes
There are a variety of methods to commemorate Good Friday, but one thing they all have in common is that they always entail prayer. At the church, there is a mass, and many churches have the Stations of the Cross, and people wish each other a good Friday, thus we’ve compiled a list of good Friday wishes to help you out.
- Life is a maybe, Death is for sure. Sin is the cause, Christ is the cure! Happy Good Friday!
- Thinking of you on Good Friday and praying that the Lord keeps you in his loving care always.
- Good Friday: Jesus will listen to your prayers on this day. Wishing you a blessed Good Friday.
- The lesson of Good Friday is to never lose hope – or at least give it 48 hours. – Robert Breault
- Start this Good Friday with prayers and fasting so that we can earn God’s mercy and forgiveness.
- No pain, no palm; no thorns, no throne; no gall, no glory; no cross, no crown. – William Penn
- The Passion of the Christ opened up on Ash Wednesday, had a Good Friday. – Billy Crystal
- Holy Week is a good occasion to go to confession and to take up the right path again. – Pope Francis
- Very thankful for the many blessings the Lord has given me…Love you, Lord. Happy Good Friday.
- Unless there is a Good Friday in your life, there can be no Easter Sunday. – Fulton J. Sheen
Good Friday Quotes On Solemn Reflection
Christians will observe Good Friday and all that it involves as Holy Week approaches. Despite its name, this holy feast is more about holiness than it is about goodness. This is the day when Jesus died for the world’s sins, and Christians commemorate it with rites and fasting.
- Our Lord has written the promise of the resurrection, not in books alone but in every leaf in springtime.
- For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that, he is killed, he shall rise the third day.
- So shall we join the disciples of our Lord, keeping faith in Him despite the crucifixion, and making ready, by our loyalty to Him in the days of His darkness, for the time when we shall enter into His triumph in the days of His light.
- Stoning prophets and erecting churches to their memory afterwards has been the way of the world through the ages. Today we worship Christ, but the Christ in the flesh we crucified.
- God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son.
- To holy people the very name of Jesus is a name to feed upon, a name to transport. His name can raise the dead and transfigure and beautify the living.
- Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force. Jesus Christ founded an empire upon love, and at this hour millions of men would die for Him.
- Mercy, peace, and love. May the grace and Lord surround and be with you on Good Friday.
- No pain, no palm; no thorns, no throne; no gall, no glory; no cross, no crown.
- Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the LORD is risen upon thee. For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the LORD shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee.
Good Friday Quotes To Help You Heal
Good Friday is more than a religious observance. For others, it is a time for honest contemplation of life and the decisions that shape it. It is an examination of your faith and beliefs, as well as a consideration of whether your values are in line with your behavior. Here are some Good Friday quotes to remember Jesus’ crucifixion. These quotes may also assist you in your quest for healing and clarity in your life.
- The Cross was the manifestation of Divine love without reserve or limit, but it was also the expression of man’s unutterable malignity.
- We do not attach any intrinsic value to the Cross; this would be sinful and idolatrous. Our veneration is referred to Him who died upon it.
- By the cross we, too, are crucified with Christ; but alive in Christ. We are no more rebels, but servants; no more servants, but sons!
- Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.
- To holy people, the very name of Jesus is a name to feed upon, a name to transport. His name can raise the dead and transfigure and beautify the living.
- The word “Christianity” is already a misunderstanding – in reality, there has been only one Christian, and he died on the Cross.
- Death is the justification of all the ways of the Christian, the last end of all his sacrifices, the touch of the Great Master which completes the picture.
- Christ has not only spoken to us by his life but has also spoken for us by his death.
- Who his own self bare our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
- If Christ is God, He cannot sin, and if suffering was a sin in and by itself, He could not have suffered and died for us. However, since He took the most horrific death to redeem us, He showed us in fact that suffering and pain have great power.